First Step to Discover Your Life’s Purpose
Oh, Danielle Laporte, why did you have to wait 37 years to enter my life? If I had met you in my 20s it would have saved me so much soul searching over who do I want to be when I grow up…
Life is full of opportunities to feel exactly the way you want to feel.
Danielle Laporte, an inspirational speaker, poet, former think tank exec and business strategist
Here’s Danielle’s formula to help figure out your life’s purpose:
First, get clear on how you want to feel. Then do stuff that makes you feel that way.
So simple. So life-changing.
This two-part recipe (identify feelings and take action) addresses a universal desire – we all just want to feel good!
GOLD NUGGET: What we focus on expands. By focusing on the feelings you want helps to create the experience you want to experience.
Exercise: IDENTIFY CORE DESIRED FEELINGS
- How do I want to feel? Write down all the words, phrases, visuals that answer this question. Allow yourself a free-flowing, judgment-free stream of consciousness.
- What are my core desired feelings? Narrow down to 3 – 5 desired feelings.
- What accomplishments or experiences will make me feel this way?
- What 3 things will I do TODAY to feel this way?
- What 3 things will I do THIS WEEK to feel this way?
- What 3 things will I do THIS QUARTER to feel this way?
- Who are 3 people I should collaborate with who will help make me feel this way?
Here are my core desired feelings (CDFs) I identified after going through Danielle’s exercise.
- Clarity – confidence in my life direction
- Loved – to be loved and to give love unconditionally
- Vivacious & present – live life with an exclamation point (!)
- Creative – bring new ideas to life in a magnificent way
Post your CDFs on your vision board, in your planner, and on your bathroom mirror as a daily reminder to make decisions and create your to-do lists based on how you want to feel.
Each day presents opportunities to feel the way we want to feel. Take control and express your soul in all you do.
GOLD NUGGET: Let your feelings be your time management guide.